i’m glad that fucking doge meme has finally maybe died down
In Bradenton, Fla., a man shot a high school senior to death after she and her friends refused to perform oral sex at his request.
In Chicago, a scared 15-year-old was hit by a car and died after she tried escaping from harassers on a bus.
Again, in Chicago, a man grabbed a 19-year-old walking on a public thoroughfare, pulled her onto a gangway and assaulted her.
In Savannah, Georgia, a woman was walking alone at night and three men approached her. She ignored them, but they pushed her to the ground and sexually assaulted her.
In Manhattan, a 29-year-old pregnant woman was killed when men catcalling from a van drove onto the sidewalk and hit her and her friend.
Last week, a runner in California — a woman — was stopped and asked, by a strange man in a car, if she wanted a ride. When she declined he ran her over twice."
FUCK YOU if you think that street harassment is a “compliment” or “no big deal” or that it’s “irrational” of us to be afraid because “what’s actually gonna happen.” Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you some more.
This is terrorism.
Every time someone catcalls me from the street, I think, “Please don’t follow me. Please don’t follow me.” Every time someone shouts out their car window at me as they drive by, I think, “Please don’t stop. Please don’t turn around.” Because the thing is, I’ve had men follow me. I’ve had men pull their cars off the road. Just a few weeks ago, I had a carload of young men pull over in front of my house while I was working in my yard just to yell at me and laugh at my obvious discomfort. It wasn’t flattering. It was terrifying.
In some cases, the harassment was just from clueless overly aggressive guys who had no intention of harming me. They clearly felt like they were entitled to my attention by virtue of existing, despite the obvious fact that I was not interested, but eventually with enough mentions of boyfriends (real or imaginary), they buggered off. (Funny how they’ll go away because they think another man—even a fake one—would want them to, but won’t when it’s just the woman herself who wants them to get lost.)
Other times, though, like when the guys stopped their car in front of my house, the intention was obviously to intimidate me. To demonstrate their own power. They knew they could have gotten out of their car and done something to me, even if I was in my own yard just a few feet from my own house, and they wanted me to know that, too. And that’s not the first time I’ve experienced that sort of harassment and unfortunately will probably not be the last.
I got off the train the other day and a guy was about to get onto the opposite train. He turned around, saw me, stepped on the train, stepped off and started following me. He proceeded to asking me if I had a boyfriend and other questions. Even though I said yes he continued to follow me. I waited for the bus for twenty minutes while he stood near by. My bus is always the last to come, so I knew we probably were going to be the only two left waiting. I got on the wrong bus on purpose to psyche him out and he followed right behind me. I saw him pay for his fare and sit down, so I got off before the bus pulled off but he got off as well. My bus eventually came and it was a miracle that he decided not to get on that one. Fuck anyone who thinks that’s flirtatious or I should consider this to be chivalrous. I need feminism …or a taser which every comes first.
Sandra Bullock’s box office take over the last five years is as good or better than most male leads. The same can be said of Melissa McCarthy, who also has the attention of about 10 million viewers a week on Mike and Molly when she’s not on the big screen. Both of them have been integral to the marketing and promotion of their films, so it’s clearly not that moviegoers won’t watch a blockbuster with a woman in the lead.
But in very specific terms, Gravity was marketed as a co-headlining movie from Bullock and George Clooney, but anyone who saw it knows that it was Bullock’s film. Clooney was perceived as being necessary to market the movie in spite of the fact that since 2008, his movies have generated about $634 million total at the domestic box office, compared to Bullock’s $891 million. During that time, Clooney made nine films to Bullock’s six, meaning that the per-film average is even more heavily skewed in Bullock’s favor.
During that time, the total budget for Clooney’s films came to a minimum of $307 million and the budget for Bullocks clocked in at $214 million. That means that for every dollar spent producing a George Clooney film, the studio saw $2.07 back. That isn’t half bad, really. You know what it is half of? The $4.15 they saw on every Sandra Bullock dollar they spent during the same five-year period. Each of them had a couple of low-budget indie films and a couple of failures during the five-year period, but Clooney–the name Warner Bros. was convinced was necessary to promote the film–averaged just over $70 million per film during that period while Bullock averaged upwards of $148 million."
1. White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US? Other terrorists are called, like, “terrorists.”
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists."
Juan Cole, 08/09/2012
Juan Cole actually wrote this 4 days after a white terrorist, yes, terrorist, murdered 6 and injured 4 people at a Sikh gurdwara in Wisconsin. The terrorist who committed said crime spoke of an impending “racial holy war” beforehand and was a member of white supremacist/neo-Nazi hate groups.